Maras Moray and Salt Mines Half day tour
In this tour of the Maras Moray and salt mines you will visit the agricultural terraces Inca de Moray is an ideal complement for your excursions to Machu Picchu. You will appreciate snow-capped mountains, farmland and villages full of color and tradition. Daily departures for single people and groups of all ages and on a tourist bus, In just half a day, this tour allows you to get to know the salt mines of Maras and the agricultural terraces of Moray, which are located in the province of Urubamba. You will enjoy the beautiful natural landscapes during the journey to the mentioned places and a town full of culture and tradition. Recommended tour for single people and / or groups of all ages.
- Day 1: Pick up from your hotel at 08:20 am., bus trip for 2 hours approx. then visit the an archeological site of Moray and the Salt Mines. Finally return in bus to Cusco.
08:20 a.m. pick up from your accommodation to visit the following places:
Maras: Located west of Cusco at 3300 m.a.s.l. from there you can see the Urubamba mountain range and the snowy peaks of “La Verónica” (5682 meters above sea level) and the “Chikón” (5530 meters above sea level). Its important occupation began when the noble inhabitants of the Inkario were stripped of their palaces in the Qosqo and had than going out to settle in other small towns like Maras. It has a church made of adobes, typical of the village religious architecture, inside the church are kept canvases of the Cusqueña School.
Moray: It is located about 7 km southwest of Maras; It is the only archaeological group of its kind in the region. These are depressions or giant natural holes in the surface of the land that were used to build in their terraces or agricultural services with their controlled irrigation channels, therefore, a prototype of greenhouse or biological experimental station quite advanced for its time that helped To the American man of antiquity inherit to mankind 60% of the vegetable products he consumes, that the Andean man consumes a thousand and a half of different varieties of potatoes, a hundred and a half of corn, and many other products.
Salineras: o “Salt Mines”: Located northwest of the town of Maras are constituted by about 4000 small wells with an average area of about 5 m², during the dry season they fill or “water” every 3 days with salt water that emanates from a natural spring located in the upper part of the wells so that when the water evaporates, the salt contained in it gradually solidifies, then the salt is beaten and thus granulated; the salt will then be packed in plastic sacks and sent to the region’s markets; Today that salt is being iodized, which is why its consumption is not harmful. Finally we will be returning to the city of Cusco at approximately 2:30 pm.
Duration: 6 hours approximately.
- Pick up service from your Accommodation the day of your service.
- Tourist bus to make the whole tour.
- Bilingual guide which will give you the information of all the archaeological centers to visit.
- Partial Tourist Ticket (S /. 70.00).
- Snacks, drinks and soft drinks.
- Tips and extra expenses.
- Water bottle, camera, suncream, hat.
- Rain jacket or rain poncho.
- Money for lunch and souveniers.
- Comfortable sturdy walking shoes or runners.
- Cusco Tourist Ticket.
- A warm clothes to return to Cusco.
- Group Service: $ 15
- Private Price 2 passengers: $ 75
- Private Price 3 passengers: $ 65
- Private Price 4-5-6 passengers: $ 45
(The Group service can consist of between 15 to 22 people)